On behalf of the Board of Directors and staff at the Roanoke Blacksburg Technology Council (RBTC), we are writing to inform you of Robert McAden’s resignation as President and CEO of the RBTC effective May 3rd, following our TechNite Celebration. While we are saddened to lose Robert’s leadership, the RBTC is also delighted he is joining one of our regional technology “rising stars”.
Robert has been a critical part of the RBTC for a long time – first as a member representing Rackspace, then as a Board Member, Board Chair and finally becoming CEO in 2017. He has been a significant asset to our organization.
Here are some of the RBTC’s accomplishments during Robert’s tenure:
- Increasing membership to over 270 companies.
- Launching the HR Roundtable to provide a forum for HR professionals in technology companies to work together on strategic challenges.
- Strengthening our forums; Tech Talk, Cyber Security, Business Development, and Women in Technology.
- Holding an annual Career Fair and representing RBTC member companies at numerous on-campus career fairs throughout the region.
- Launching Tech on Tap to provide opportunities for our members to network with each other and enjoy the region’s growing craft beer scene.
- Working with partners and sponsors to launch RAMP: the RAMP-in-Residence program has worked with 14 companies and will soon be working with 5 more as the third cohort kicks off.
- Winning GoVirginia grant funding to support RAMP, bringing back Pitch & Polish clinics, and expanding our mentor network.
Robert has expressed his leaving the RBTC as full of mixed emotions. “None of these accomplishments would have been possible without the efforts of our staff, Board, Partners, Sponsors, and Membership. It has truly been a rewarding and humbling experience to work alongside so many individuals and organizations that are dedicated to ensuring that our technology ecosystem thrives and grows. Thank you for your tremendous support and encouragement and I look forward to staying involved with the RBTC as a member.”
Kevin Bloomfield, Co-Chair of the RBTC Board, provided the following reflection of Robert’s tenure. “Robert has been an important part of the fabric of this organization for quite a while. From his days of being a major sponsor at Rackspace, to his time on the board, and most recently as the President & CEO, I appreciate his leadership at every point in his journey. It seems fitting that Robert should transition to one of our newest regional sponsors. I am sure that he will make just as significant of an impact in his new role as he has with our organization.”
The Board will name a committee to lead the search for the next leader of the RBTC. During this time of transition, we count on your continued support as we continue to provide outstanding support to our members.
We will be posting the job in the near future on the RBTC website and will communicate with the Board and members when this posting goes live. Robert will continue to serve until May 3rd. If you have any questions or would like to recommend a candidate for the role, please reach out to Kevin Bloomfield or Patrick Patterson.
Kevin Bloomfield: firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-353-2141
Patrick Patterson: email@example.com or 540-397-6612